Hey Diddle Diddle Mobile
Materials you will need for the mobile are:
- hole punch
- string, ribbon or wool
- a straw
- something to color with (optional)
- paper towel roll (not a toilet paper roll) or a gift wrap tube cut to
- I did the directions assuming you would use a paper towel roll for your template. However! you can also use a plastic hanger or
- you can make a criss cross mobile like we did on the car mobile
- assuming you're using the paper towel roll, you'll also need a piece of construction paper or poster paint to cover the tube PLUS sparkle glue, stickers, or markers to decorate further.
I like the paper towel roll mobiles better than the criss cross ones because they can hang from either the ceiling OR the wall.
- Decorate the cardboard tube -- you can do this by gluing or taping a piece of construction paper around it (like we did) and then decorating with stickers, sparkle glue or markers. OR you can paint the tube with poster/tempra paint.
- While your tube is drying...
- Print out the template of choice. (color or B&W)
- Color the Templates as necessary.
- It's much easier if you fold the template in half and glue it together BEFORE you cut it out. At least that's what we find.
- Poke a hole in the top of each template piece, thread a string through and tie.
- Cut the straw in half. Tie a string to it and to the cardboard tube. The cat and the fiddle should be tied on either side of the straw (sort of like a mini mobile). When you get it balanced, you may want to put a bit of tape on so the strings don't slip.
- Poke a hole in the bottom of the cow template (as well as the top). Tie the string from the moon into the bottom hole in the cow template. Tie the top string from the cow onto the tube. This makes it look like the cow's jumping over the moon.
- Poke a hole in the bottom of the Ha Ha Ha template (as well as the top). Tie the string from the dog into the bottom hole in the Ha Ha Ha template. Tie the top string from the Ha Ha Ha onto the tube. This makes the Ha Ha Ha look like a caption over the dog's head
- Use the second half of the straw. Tie a string to it and to the cardboard tube. The dish and the spoon should be tied on either side of the straw (like a mini mobile) When you get it balanced, you may want to put a bit of tape on so the strings don't slip.
- Thread a string all the way through the roll and tie in a loop so you can hang your mobile on the wall or from the ceiling.