Hey Diddle Diddle Mobile
Materials you will need for the mobile are:
- hole punch
- string, ribbon or wool
- a straw
- something to color with (optional)
- paper towel roll (not a toilet paper roll) or a gift wrap tube cut to
- I did the directions assuming you would use a paper towel roll for
your template. However! you can also use a plastic hanger or
- you can make a criss cross mobile like we did on the
- assuming you're using the paper towel roll, you'll also need a piece of
construction paper or poster paint to cover the tube PLUS sparkle glue,
stickers, or markers to decorate further.
I like the paper towel roll mobiles better than the criss cross ones because
they can hang from either the ceiling OR the wall.
- Decorate the cardboard tube -- you can do this by gluing or taping a piece
of construction paper around it (like we did) and then decorating with
stickers, sparkle glue or markers. OR you can paint the tube with
- While your tube is drying...
- Print out the template of choice. (color or B&W)
- Color the Templates as necessary.
- It's much easier if you fold the template in half and glue it together
BEFORE you cut it out. At least that's what we find.
- Poke a hole in the top of each template piece, thread a string through and tie.
- Cut the straw in half. Tie a string to it and to the cardboard
tube. The cat and the fiddle should be tied on either side of the
straw (sort of like a mini mobile). When you get it balanced, you
may want to put a bit of tape on so the strings don't slip.
- Poke a hole in the bottom of the cow template (as well as the
top). Tie the string from the moon into the bottom hole in the cow
template. Tie the top string from the cow onto the tube.
This makes it look like the cow's jumping over the moon.
- Poke a hole in the bottom of the Ha Ha Ha template (as well as the
top). Tie the string from the dog into the bottom hole in the Ha
Ha Ha template. Tie the top string from the Ha Ha Ha onto the
tube. This makes the Ha Ha Ha look like a caption over the dog's
- Use the second half of the straw. Tie a string to it and to the
cardboard tube. The dish and the spoon should be tied on either
side of the straw (like a mini mobile) When you get it balanced,
you may want to put a bit of tape on so the strings don't slip.
Thread a string all the way through the roll and tie in a loop so you can
hang your mobile on the wall or from the ceiling.
Cat and Fiddle Template (color)
Cow and Moon Template (color)
Dog and Laugh Template (color)
Dish and Spoon Template (color)
Print friendly version of these instructions