DLTK's Educational Printables for Kids
Make Your Own
Make these free printable children's books to encourage your kids to read. There are a variety of themes to choose from -- the majority of the books target younger readers (preschool, kindergarten and early grade school) although a few of the books are a bit more challenging.
The "custom stories" and holidays themed stories are especially popular!
The printable books come with suggestions for complimentary activities and/or worksheets to reinforce the stories.
- Animal Stories:
- Bible Stories:
- Color Buddies: A Garden
- Custom Stories:
- Fruit (Nutrition)
- Gingerbread Man
- Go Car Go! or en español
- Holiday Stories (not including riddles mini books with holiday themes):
- Earth Day - Celebrate Earth
- Easter Basket
- Easter is Here!
- Five Little Pumpkins (Halloween) or en español
- Fourth of July
- In Flander's Fields (Remembrance/Veteran's Day)
- Leprechaun (St. Patrick's Day)
- My Valentine
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas
- I Can Draw
- Little Red Ridinghood
- My Body
- My Daddy
- My Mommy
- Seasons (not including riddles mini books with seasons themes):
- Time for School or en español
Here's a suggestion from JoAnna: "I was trying to keep my 5-year-old busy the other day and came up with a fun craft reading project. I gave him 6 blank pieces of paper and told him to draw a different picture on each one. When he was finished, I asked him what each picture was. Then I put together the pictures and wrote a story based on them. Arien REALLY loves his book because it is about his father and he is very proud that it has all of his drawing in it. I enjoyed trying to tie all of the pictures into one story (and the free time I got while he was drawing)."
Here is a suggestion from Carlene and Paris: "Being an avid quilter, I came up with my own way of putting the mini books together. I sew them together on the sewing machine. No staples or brads are needed. It works for me."
Here is a suggestion from Carol: "If printer resolution is high enough, the mini book pages can be reduced to 70%-75% before printing each page. Then they can be inserted into a mini photo album. That way the books may hold up to more wear and tear with younger children."
For more reading reinforcement, also check out:
Reproducible Mini Books for sale at Amazon.com:
- 15 Reproducible Write and Read Books
- 15 Reproducible Spanish Write-And-Read Books
- 25 Bilingual Mini-Books: English and Spanish
- 25 Emergent Reader Mini-Books
- 25 Holiday & Seasonal Emergent Readers
- 25 Mother Goose Peek-A-Books
- 25 Science Mini-Books
- 25 Spanish Emergent Reader Mini-Books
- Fun Phonics Mini-Books
- Look, Look, I Wrote a Book