DLTK's Educational Activities
October Bulletin Board Project
"School is a Bushel of Fun!"
Alternate themes/Templates listed: "Books are...", "Church is...", "Friends are...", "Learning is...", "Math is...", "Writing is..."
A fall harvest theme with apple Templates. The layout shows "School is a Bushel of Fun!", but ideas are provided for a variety of alternate themes including:
- Books are a Bushel of Fun
- Church is a Bushel of Fun
- Friends are a Bushel of Fun
- Learning is a Bushel of Fun
- Math is a Bushel of Fun
- School is a Bushel of Fun
- Writing is a Bushel of Fun
Additional educational activities for PreK thru Kindergarten: counting the apples, the shape of a square, the color red, and the letters A and B. Additional Resources not shown on the layout: Rosie Red Color Buddy, Letter A alphabuddies section, Letter B alphabuddies section, Square shapes buddy, Apple Activities, Fruits coloring pages and the Fruit Mini Book with Story Sequencing cards
Additional educational activities for Grades 1 and 2: Learn about the fruits and vegetables food group - healthy eating and nutrition. For Additional Resources, visit DLTK's Nutrition Activities and Apple Activities.
If you are interested, here is a picture of how the bulletin board turned out for one of our viewers.
Directions and Links:
PreK and up: Take a small photo of each of the children with a digital camera or instant camera OR ask the parents to provide a photo of their children.
Cover the bulletin board with white, light green or light brown
Make the Awesome Apple paper craft and tape it to the top, left section of the bulletin board.
Print the title template:
- Books are a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
- Church is a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
- Friends are a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
- Learning is a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
- Math is a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
- School is a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
- Writing is a Bushel of Fun (color or B&W)
Tape to a piece of brown or red construction paper or card stock to create a border. Tape this title to the top, left section of the board.
Cut strips of brown butcher paper and weave them to create a large rectangle. Trim and glue the rectangle to form a shape. This will be your bushel basket. You can trim a long rectangle for the brim of the basket. Tape your bushel basket onto the bulletin board.
Have the children:
- trace an apple onto a red piece of cardstock or construction paper (or use
white construction paper and let them paint it red). Have them cut out the
apple - may require adult assistance for younger age groups. OR use the apple
template I've provided (color
- Glue the photo to the top, right edge of the apple.
- Print their name on the apple.
- Print their age on the apple.
- Print something special on the apple -- the something special will depend
on what your bushel of fun was. Here are some ideas:
- Books are a Bushel of Fun: The title and author of a book they've recently read.
- Church is a Bushel of Fun: I know God loves me because __________.
- Friends are a Bushel of Fun: My friends are fun because _________.
- Learning is a Bushel of Fun: This week I learned about _____________.
- Math is a Bushel of Fun: Write a math problem on their apple and let them solve it.
- School is a Bushel of Fun: School is a bushel of fun because ______________. or My favorite thing about school is ____________.
- Writing is a Bushel of Fun: Write a haiku (5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables) about autumn.
Tape their completed apples onto the bulletin board.
|Thanks to Irene from Sharon Community School for sending in this photo and additional suggestion: This is how I used your idea. Instead of listing the children's names, I listed the teacher name/classroom. Everyone was impressed. Again this one made our local paper. As I was working on the basket, which I did get carried away, a little to big, everyone would check on my progress with the weaving of it. I had fun doing it.|